The type of rotor oil used is important to how well your rotary valve works. Here are a few tips to
help with your oil selections.
1. Not all rotor oils are the same. Use high quality rotor oil. We recommend and use the
Hetman line of oils in our shop.
2. Use oils with n...
Disassembling Thayer Rotary Valves
1. Prepare a clean, soft, lint and dirt free area to work.
2. Remove hand slide and all tuning slides and place bell in work area.
3. Remove all screws and/or strings connected to lever and linkages (note: do not remove the
If cleaned often, a simple soap and water cleaning should be enough to maintain a properly working
rotor (we recommend twice a year). Over time, a rotor will develop build up which will result in poor
action. If your rotor has not been cleaned recently, first take your i...
Disassembling a rotary valve is necessary to properly clean and maintain its functionality. Some
players may be nervous about removing a rotor, but quickly become more comfortable with a little
practice. Rotors should only need to be removed for cleaning once or twice a...
Oiling Rotary Valves
Areas which require oiling on a rotary valve.
1. The Rotary Valve Body can be oiled through the shortest tubes leading to the rotor casing. This
is often done through the bell/slide receiver.
2. The Rotary Valve Spindles are oiled in two places (not...
Understanding Brass Chem Cleans
March 1, 2018
Get a Grip: How to Hold Your Drumsticks
May 8, 2015
The Importance of Handmade Oboe Reeds
March 13, 2015
Restringing Traditional Rotary Valves
December 3, 2014
Reassembling Thayer Rotary Valves
December 2, 2014
Reassembling Traditional Rotary Valves
December 1, 2014
November 30, 2014