1. Make a knot large enough so it will not slip through the hole in the lever.
2. With the rotor lever in the proper position, wrap the string around the stop arm between the
stop arm and the lever.
3. Make a figure 8 around the string set screw on the stop arm (string...
1. Oil rotor body and spindle.
2. Install spindle through top plate.
3. Install the stop arm and screw.
4. Install rotor and top plate into housing body aligning the notch in the top plate to the housing
and tighten locking ring.
5. Reassemble the F slide and bell secti...
Disassembling Thayer Rotary Valves
1. Prepare a clean, soft, lint and dirt free area to work.
2. Remove hand slide and all tuning slides and place bell in work area.
3. Remove all screws and/or strings connected to lever and linkages (note: do not remove the
If cleaned often, a simple soap and water cleaning should be enough to maintain a properly working
rotor (we recommend twice a year). Over time, a rotor will develop build up which will result in poor
action. If your rotor has not been cleaned recently, first take your i...
Disassembling a rotary valve is necessary to properly clean and maintain its functionality. Some
players may be nervous about removing a rotor, but quickly become more comfortable with a little
practice. Rotors should only need to be removed for cleaning once or twice a...
Oiling Rotary Valves
Areas which require oiling on a rotary valve.
1. The Rotary Valve Body can be oiled through the shortest tubes leading to the rotor casing. This
is often done through the bell/slide receiver.
2. The Rotary Valve Spindles are oiled in two places (not...
Understanding Brass Chem Cleans
March 1, 2018
Get a Grip: How to Hold Your Drumsticks
May 8, 2015
The Importance of Handmade Oboe Reeds
March 13, 2015
Restringing Traditional Rotary Valves
December 3, 2014
Reassembling Thayer Rotary Valves
December 2, 2014
Reassembling Traditional Rotary Valves
December 1, 2014
November 30, 2014
November 29, 2014
Disassembling Traditional Rotary Valves
November 27, 2014
March 2018 (1)
May 2015 (1)
March 2015 (1)